The Underwriting Trainer is responsible for assisting the Manager, Training and Development in planning, developing and delivering training programs that meet specific needs for the Underwriting Department. The Underwriting Trainer is responsible for one-on-one and group training of underwriting analysts and managing training performance. The Underwriting Trainer is responsible for providing on-going, accurate file approvals and feedback to trainees in order to facilitate their success. The Underwriting trainer will collaborate with the Manager, Training and Development and underwriting management teams to identify and analyze learning gaps and opportunities to facilitate staff development, promote continued high performance and continually adapt the training programs to accommodate the ever-changing needs of the business.
- Assists Manager, Training and Development in designing and developing training programs, materials and curriculum. Curriculum to span from new-hires to experienced level underwriting.
- Plans and performs Underwriting quality assurance audits. The plan shall contemplate current regulatory market conduct actions and trends, statutory requirements, and departmental standards and procedures.
- Delivers one-on-one and group staff training and mentoring to staff based on established training goals and meeting authority deadlines.
- Ensures that all training information is accurate, current, and comprehensive in order to ensure the technical proficiency of all trainees.
- Provides trainees with accurate file approvals in order to ensure that company policies and procedures are clearly understood.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of training progress, as well as, any issues, and meets with underwriting management team regularly to outline training progress and deficiencies.
- Responsible for policy issuance and referral accuracy of analyst accounts, adhering to all necessary underwriting guidelines, best practices, and authority.
- Identifies learning gaps and opportunities and sets training strategies and priorities to achieve these goals and objectives; provides direct training feedback to ensure learning gaps are understood by the trainee.
- Assists the Manager, Training and Development in partnering with team members inside and outside of the Underwriting Department to provide educational opportunities to enhance and develop underwriting employee skills and knowledge.
- Must stay current on all procedural and process changes in order to properly facilitate training.
- Assists the underwriting compliance department in developing micro-training sessions to keep the underwriting department current on all regulatory compliance changes.
- Assists with on-boarding of new hires (i.e., obtaining user IDs, setting up work stations, reference materials etc.) on an as needed basis.
- Acts as the Rating Bureau administrator in order to establish user IDs for new employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 1-3 year of training and development experience along with 3-5 years underwriting department experience or an equivalent combination of both.
- Must have working knowledge and good grasp of workers’ compensation fundamentals and the state specific requirements.
- Must possess a sound working knowledge of MEMIC procedures and systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Must be able to foster positive working relationships with all members of staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Must have excellent presentation skills.
- Strong facilitation and development skills preferred.
- Coaching and mentoring background preferred.
- Must be organized and detailed oriented with the highest level of technical accuracy.
- Proficient in computer skills a must (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Must be able to adapt to ever changing requirements within the organization.