Business Intelligence Analyst
The Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for supporting and managing a program of enterprise-wide and business unit-focused initiatives designed to help business partners drive value from information. This position contributes to MEMIC’s success by ensuring business needs and goals are realized through analysis and reporting activities of the Analytics Center of Excellence (AEoC). This position is responsible for empowering MEMIC business leaders with concise, high-quality information, helping them leverage it to identify and address business opportunities and threats. This position provides consultation on the interpretation of data to various business partners throughout the organization.
- Analyzes complex business problems and issues from internal and external sources to provide insight for decision-makers.
- Works closely with business partners to provide business intelligence solutions by gathering detailed business requirements, translating them into technical requirements, building and testing solutions, and obtaining final business approval, while meeting the partners’ time frames.
- Leverages knowledge of business intelligence capabilities and familiarity with market and business trends in identifying patterns, opportunities and threats to provide insight to decision makers in increasing profits and efficiencies.
- Presents data in a fashion that is easy to understand with proper documentation for successful user adoption.
- Communicates data nuances and insights to all levels of the company in a clear and concise manner.
- Queries large datasets and tables to provide information requested by business users.
- Creates custom reports, dashboards, and other solutions based on the business requirements provided.
- Creates and conducts test plans and scenarios to ensure accuracy and that all requirements and objectives are met and delivered within established timeline.
- Maintains a detailed understanding of MEMIC’s data stores to support user needs.
- Develops, implements, and supports business intelligence standards used by analytics teams across the company.
- Supports all scheduled and non-recurring information needs of the business users.
- Assists in identifying solutions to enhance the existing Business Intelligence infrastructure processes and technology.
- Provides advice and education in the usage and interpretation of business data relevant to the business unit.
- Assists users at all levels within the company on how to leverage BI capabilities for accurate reporting and analysis.
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, or related field with five or more years of experience with data analysis and reporting, or equivalent work and education experience required.
- Strong, hands-on experience with SQL.
- Strong experience working with business intelligence tools such as Power BI and Tableau.
- Experience with Enterprise Level Business intelligence platforms (SAP Business Objects Cognos, SAS, etc.) is a plus.
- Excellent time management, organizational, prioritization, and follow through skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Experience with advanced analytics platforms and technology is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and data warehouse schema.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel, and Power Point).
- Ability to present complex information in an understandable and compelling manner. Advanced presentation skills.
- Experience in the insurance industry, particularly workers’ compensation insurance, is a plus.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to produce with superior accuracy a must.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team. Ability to build rapport across business lines.
MEMIC is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetics, gender identity, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.